Friday, February 26, 2010

Smile for the Camera - 21st Edition

The word prompt for the 21st Edition of Smile for the Camera is "Give Their Face a Place." March is Women's History month and we are asked to picture a woman or women in history, something meaningful to us. "The interpretation is yours (mine)."


I have chosen this venue to honor my aunt LVene (Smith) Thomas (1910-2004), one of my father's older sisters. She was an elementary school teacher her entire life - starting in one room schools in our rural neighborhood; she earned her teaching degree, part-time, over the years, and continued in the Community Schools. She raised fine two sons, one a School Superintendent for many years. Her husband, Verle Thomas, died far too young (1911-1958).

You may recall I have mentioned her as a source of much of my early Smith and Preston family history information - a real head start. She spend many years as the family history person in our family, and compiled a family history book for her siblings in about 1990. I do owe her a lot, and want to acknowledge it here.

The photo was in the 1974 United Methodist Church, Coon Rapids, Iowa, member directory book.

Families are Forever!  ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how she got all of her information. Do you know? What happened to her research? She several typed individual copies of the books she made to give to her siblings and nieces and nephews. I treasure my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wrote a LOT of letters, over many years. She and Irene also visited many places, eastern Iowa, Des Moines, Nebraska. I don't know how many, but I can pretty well tell from what she has in her book, and what she is missing. Irene helped with the expenses of getting the dozen or so copies made.
    All of her records are with John, in Coon Rapids, as far as I know. I've talked to Dave about them, a few times, but not John. Hope they are being well looked after. Some of those letters would be gems to read!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like a wonderful person as well as one actively engaged in doing good for others. You just can't beat that combination.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete