Saturday, April 17, 2010

Surname Saturday - BRIGHTWELL

Surname Saturday - BRIGHTWELL

Through the last 26 weeks, we have named and discussed the surnames of my "round of thirty-two" (scroll down a bit) - back through 3rd great grandparents.

Next, I want to share some of the "further back" surnames with which I have spent some time and done some research - some, like today, quite a bit, actually.

I will start with my mother's paternal line, KINNICK. The 4th GG is believed to be ISAACS, but we are not even close to proving it. The 5th GG is believed to be FERGUSON, but again, not proven satisfactorily. This is the Sgt Major William KINNICK level. His mother, the wife of Jasper KINNICK, was Elizabeth BRIGHTWELL. Elizabeth was the daughter of Captain Richard BRIGHTWELL, of the Horse Rangers, of early Maryland (from his arrival from England in 1666 as an indentured servant of Major Thomas Truman, to his death in 1696 as a prosperous land owner).

I published an article: "Richard Brightwell Family in Maryland, 1640s to 1740s," in the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, Vol. 44, No. 2, Spring 2003, pp. 218-238.

Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment