Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - 3 Aug 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - 3 Aug 2010

This is my sixth report of entering Tombstone Tuesday entries into Find A Grave, per my Challenge #22 and #23 resolution. Today I take on my earlier posts of 30 Mar 2010 and 6 Apr 2010 for brothers, John W. and Franklin Pierce RECTOR.

These are fairly distant relatives to me, but they happened to have died and were buried in the community I was living in at the time I came to know who they were: Emporia, Lyon Co, KS. It was fairly easy to go photograph their tombstones! Small world, as we say!

John W. RECTOR
was the son of Jacob and Frances (LITTLE) RECTOR. John W. RECTOR was born 13 May 1842, in Indiana, and died 17 Apr 1863, at age 23 years, 11 mon, 5 days. He is said to have died of fever, suffering during his Civil War service. He is buried in the Forest Hill - Hunter Cemetery in Lyon County, Kansas (near Emporia) along with others in his family including his brother, Franklin.
Find A Grave Memorial# 55732681 John W. Rector

Franklin Pierce RECTOR
was born 11 Mar 1855 in South Bend, St. Joseph Co, Indiana, the son of Jacob and Frances (LITTLE) RECTOR. In the 1870 U.S. Census, he was 15 years of age on his parents farm near Neosho Rapids, Jasckson Twp, Lyon Co, KS. He married Carrie Chipman SHAVER on 26 Aug 1883 in Neosho Rapids.
The 1900 U.S. Census finds Franklin P. RECTOR listed as a Teamster in Jackson Twp, with his wife, Carrie, with five children and his brother, Jacob A.
Franklin died 26 Jan 1924 in Emporia, Lyon Co, KS, and is buried there.
Find A Grave Memorial# 55733178 Franklin Pierce Rector


Families are Forever!  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm glad you are taking the time to upload them to FAG as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I have some Rectors who are related by marriage to my Kelly family and I recently posted their tombstones on my other blog, http://nothingbuttombstones.blogspot.com/

    These burials are in Lincoln, Nebraska - not sure if they might be related to the Kansas Rectors, but thought I would pass that along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the note, Susan. I appreciate you mentioning it.
    Doubtful, actually. My interest is in one family where a RECTOR married a KINNICK (my relative surname) - way back in NC in the late 1700s - descendants moved to IN, some to KS, most to AZ.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rectors associated with my family are from Ohio, then to Illinois before Nebraska. If you come across Henry Clay Rector or Ode E. Rector, those are the ones who ended up in Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete