Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Calendar - Dec 2 - Holiday Food

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories for December 2
Holiday Foods


This Blog is pleased to join with other GeneaBloggers around the world in presenting this Advent Calendar over the next 24 days leading up to the Christmas celebration - a different topic each day. We will attempt to post on each of the topics. Our invitation continues to be open to other writers to join us here with your comments (See Nov 29, Dec 5, Dec 12, and Dec 19 posts here - laber 'Advent Calendar' - for the topics; or the link in the title, here).


Holiday Foods - Christmas Cookies

Probably the most consistent holiday food through my lifetime has been Christmas Cookies. When I was young, my maternal grandmother, born in Denmark, always made some of her distinctive cookies for family Christmas gatherings well into the younger years of my daughters. My mother also developed her own special Christmas cookies, that my wife subsequently made for many, many years. None of these cookies were very fancy, but they were really, really good, and memorable. My daughters continue to talk of them, as they have grown to have their own families. They have become part of our family heritage.


Families are Forever!  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Families ARE forever and nothing brings that more to life than the Christmas season. Cookies are a very big part of my family Christmas traditions but I had not thought about that as 'food' until I read your post. Thank you for reminding me of that Bill.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas cookies are the best!! The part that has been handed down in my family is getting together to decorate them - it's such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series of posts certainly do bring back more memories. How nice! Thanks for the comments! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the simplest cookies are the best for Christmas; they're easier to decorate and you don't have to feel quite as bad if you eat a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete