Friday, December 3, 2010

Advent Calendar - Dec 3 - Christmas Tree Ornaments

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories for December 3
Christmas Tree Ornaments


This Blog is pleased to join with other GeneaBloggers around the world in presenting this Advent Calendar over the next 24 days leading up to the Christmas celebration - a different topic each day. We will attempt to post on each of the topics. Our invitation continues to be open to other writers to join us here with your comments (See Nov 29, Dec 5, Dec 12, and Dec 19 posts here - laber 'Advent Calendar' - for the topics; or the link in the title, here).


Christmas Tree Ornaments

As with our Christmas Trees, our Christmas Tree Ornaments through the years have been many and varied. They have ranged from those made by family members to a extensive collection purchased and saved annually from Silver Dollar City (Branson, MO, theme park) visits.

However, I think I can say that the ones that have always been there, and continue today, are representatives of ones both my wife and I made in country school (different ones, a few miles apart). The three that are left, and hanging on the tree near me, at this moment, I call representative because we don't really know if they are originals of mine, hers, or some we made later in our early family years. They are a snowman, a donkey and a reindeer (see photo below). They were cut out of plywood and hand painted. Part of our family heritage.



From Cindy: of Cindy's Place and Everything's Relative

As I put up my own Christmas tree this past weekend, I often thought of the decorating in our home growing up - Mom always decorated the tree - at least in my later years. All the kids in the house got a new ornament every year. Nothing "Hallmark" but just a simple ornament, marked with our name and the year. When I was an adult, I received all of the ornaments to put on my own tree and I've continued this tradition with my own children. They get a good laugh at me when I pull out a Pooh Santa from 1973 and say "awwww" every year. I also have a few heirloom ornaments from my Grandmother and still receive a new ornament from my Mom every year. Thanks for the memories!


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment