Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Calendar - Dec 8 - Christmas Cookies



Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories for December 8
Christmas Cookies


This Blog is pleased to join with other GeneaBloggers around the world in presenting this Advent Calendar over the next 24 days leading up to the Christmas celebration - a different topic each day. We will attempt to post on each of the topics. Our invitation continues to be open to other writers to join us here with your comments (See Nov 29, Dec 5, Dec 12, and Dec 19 posts here - laber 'Advent Calendar' - for the topics; or the link in the title, here).


Christmas Cookies

I wrote about Grandma (Sporensen - born in Denmark) Kinnick's Christmas Cookies under the Holiday Food prompt, but I'll add one more comment here, under Christmas Cookies - especially since her cookies were good, year around!

A real favorite, that she didn't make that I recall in the later years - therefore, from my younger years, was: I don't know the name, but they were really good. I'll have to just describe them.

I think she used a 'donut' cookie cutter, but just a hole on the top, not on the bottom. It was good, sweet, cookie dough They were good sized around, not skimpy. The whole as about the size of a quarter, and was not 'large' on the cookie! I think I must have helped make them, as a youngster, or at least watched real close. The whole circle was laid out, and a filling of raisin 'stuff' was spread on, not real thin... some body to it. The top was then put on, so that the filling showed through the hole. It was pressed around the edges so that the filling was only exposed in the hole, in the middle. Baked. I loved them. They weren't favorites of others in the family, so lost out, in the long run. But, for me, those were the best.

What were your favorites?

Families are Forever!  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! You are making me want to start baking cookies with the boys today rather than tomorrow. We will start with cut-out cookies and put lots of decorations on them. Yum! I'm sure a good time will be had by all making them, and more of a good time eating them!

    ReplyDelete