Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Eileen KINNICK - 75 yrs ago - Week 33


Eileen KINNICK Diary - 75 yrs ago
Week 33 - Aug 10-16


My mother, Eileen KINNICK (maiden name), kept a diary from 1932 until her death in 1999. In Feb 2005, I created a website of her 1936 diary, the year she graduated from high school, and started dating my dad later in the year. The transcription, week by week, with commentary, notable items, and my comments are sitting there to view, unchanged (a few back links and all!). I am starting this retro view in the middle of the year. You are welcome to click on the Weekly Index, and go back to read the first half of the year, at your leisure.
Key:
My comments - in red
Commentary at the time - in green
Notable items - in blue

Setting: The family lived in a farmhouse a couple of miles out of town (Coon Rapids, Iowa). Older brother, Leo, lived at home; girl friend, later wife, Ida. Younger brother, Buzzy (she often wrote Bussy); see photo. Lund family lived down the road, on the way to town.

Week 33. A theme you may have notices is she, and her friends, loved to dance. On Monday night, this week, she went dancing; this is ballroom dancing, big bands.   'Lunds' refers to the sisters, Erna and Edith. Note that their older brother, Elmer was among those there as well. AND, Pete Smith is mentioned. As story to follow, perhaps?!  ;-)
Note: Little Joe Hart and his Boys (1937)

Note on Friday, Leo finally had surgery. Peeking at next week it is clear he was taken to hospital in Carroll, about fifteen miles north of Coon Rapids.

Still time for music, movies and books; as well as dancing. Green link to Green Pastures: http://imdb.com/title/tt0027700/
Another side note: On Saturday, reference to 'Clara Bolger cafe' - my wife's aunt. ;-)

Enjoy the read. Comments welcomed.


Families are forever!  ;-)


2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed looking at the indexing system. It makes it easier to follow the stories over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I put a lot of work into it, at the time. I appreciate all specific comments, and suggestions. Let me know of any issues you note!
    THANKS! ;-)

    ReplyDelete