Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Eileen KINNICK - 75 yrs ago - Week 36 - Aug 31-Sep 6


Eileen KINNICK
75 yrs ago
Week 36 - Aug 31-Sep 6


My mother, Eileen KINNICK (maiden name), kept a diary from 1932 until her death in 1999. In Feb 2005, I created a website of her 1936 diary, the year she graduated from high school, and started dating my dad later in the year. The transcription, week by week, with commentary, notable items, and my comments are sitting there to view, unchanged (a few back links and all!). I am starting this retro view in the middle of the year. You are welcome to click on the Weekly Index, and go back to read the first half of the year, at your leisure.
Key:
My comments - in red
Commentary at the time - in green
Notable items - in blue

Setting: The family lived in a farmhouse a couple of miles out of town (Coon Rapids, Iowa). Older brother, Leo, lived at home; girl friend, later wife, Ida. Younger brother, Buzzy (she often wrote Bussy); see photo.

Week 36. I'll focus my comments today on three items. First, I really enjoyed being able to research and get a good feeling for the kind of books Mom read. And she did read a lot; regular visits to the library. Second, I was able here to provide a photo of a close friend, Paul Textor. He was in Leo and Ida's class - this photo came from their class photo, where Ida had written the names of the students. Paul became a Methodist minister. I knew him well as I was growing up. He spent a number of years in a neighboring town when I was high school age. Third, "Dad went to school board meeting." In 2005, when I transcribed this, I assumed he was Board Treasurer [which he was for many years]. Earlier this year, however, I read the Coon Rapids Enterprise article that said he was actually elected to the Board as a Director in March 1936. He was on the board when she graduated - just like my Dad was on the School Board when I graduated, in 1957. Small world! Bonus comment: She was excited to listen, on the radio, to the 1936 Colleg All-Stars football game against the reigning professional football Champions, Detroit Lions. Guess I come by my love of watching/listening to football games naturally. [I'm watching Iowa-Iowa State football game on television as I type this!]


Enjoy the read. Comments welcomed.


Families are forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment