Monday, September 19, 2011

Mappy Monday - Concord Twp, Bureau Co, IL-1867


Mappy Monday
Concord Twp, Bureau Co, IL
1867


This is my first Mappy Monday, using maps from my family history and genealogy research to tell the stories of my ancestors - that is, after all, what this blog is supposed to be all about - right?  ;-)





I received this from a volunteer research person with the Bureau County, IL, Genealogy Society, in Princeton, IL, in 1995, when I started seriously researching my mother's paternal line, KINNICK. If you look carefully, you can see the "Kinnick" name, second row from the top, fifth square from the right, just above the 'swamp.' Those marking are most interesting. I did this image back in the day when 'space' was at a premium on the computer. Today, I would be able to blow this up to full screen. Sorry. Perhaps on a future Mappy Monday I'll do that. For today, we are just getting started.

This land had an interesting story. I'll just share a bit, then expand later. Walter KINNICK, my 3rd Great-Grandfather, bought 160 acres here, but died, far too young, in 1853, without ever getting to live here. His wife, Susan, and his several children, eventually lived here. However, ownership was split because he died intestate, and under Illinois law, his assets were distributed to the children and the wife, not just to her. There were some court records to satisfy various claims to finally establish who owned which pieces of the 'already not very large' farm. A details story for another time.

Do you like to have maps like these as much as I do?


Families are Forever!  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I love the map! Here in New England we have so many Concords, and here's another one! Also, I can't forget to say "Happy Blogversary!"

    ReplyDelete