Thursday, September 29, 2011

Those Places Thursday - Willow#3 School, Greene County, Iowa


Those Places Thursday
Willow#3 School, Greene County, Iowa


Recently, I shared a "Those Places Thursday - Star Church 1955" that was a social center of the community where my wife and I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s in west central Iowa. Today, I continue this series by sharing photos including the one-room country school that I attended for Kindergarten through seventh grade: Willow #3 in Greene County, Willow Township, Iowa. This school was located two miles directly east, across the county line, from the Star Church.

Iowa one-room country schools were originally located on the center corner of every four square miles. The Iowa I grew up in consisted of a very homogeneous checkerboard of regular roads every mile, both north and south and east and west. Only rivers, lakes and such natural barriers prevents a road every mile. Interesting, looking back; and fairly distinctive, it now seems. [Our farm house was also on a corner, one mile directly south of the Willow #3 school house.]

A few years ago, I created a web page in my The Early Years series on Willow #3. Today, I will add another photo taken at the school. I'm at the far right, with suspenders.



Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment