Saturday, November 12, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week 46 Politics


52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History
Week 46 Politics


Thanks to GeneaBloggers and Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog for these prompts.


Week 46. Politics. What are your childhood memories of politics? Were your parents active in politics? What political events and elections do you remember from your youth?

Ah! The simpler times….

Two memories to report.

The election of 1952 would have been my first year in 'town school' after one-room country school. I was anxious to 'achieve' - and we had a magazine sales campaign. Yes, we had them 'way back then!' I managed to sell enough to earn a stuffed animal - a six inch ELEPHANT with I LIKE IKE or a DONKEY. I chose the elephant - I thought the I LIKE IKE motto was neat! I kept that thing for over 50 years!  ;-)
Sometime during that campaign year, we did see Ike appear, as I recall, out of the back of a train, stopped in a neighboring town. That may have affected my choice, as well!  ;-)

As I faced my first actual election to vote in, in 1960, talking to my Dad about it… He said, you vote as you wish, but I'll be voting a straight Republican ticket (there was a lever for the on the machine at the time), except, I vote for the Democrat for Agriculture Secretary (Dad was a farmer). Interesting what you remember, after all these years! I think I followed his example, that year.  ;-)


Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment