Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sharing Memories - Ground Electronics School, Keesler AFB


Sharing Memories
Ground Electronics School, Keesler AFB
Biloxi, MS

I have recently written about our first few months of active duty in the Air Force in 1961, at Ground Electronics School at Keesler AFB, in Biloxi, MS.

This followed our six weeks in Southern California where I was working at Space Technology Labs as a computer Programmer. The set of 1961 photos I posted, toward the end, are in Biloxi and returning back through Iowa.


Observations and memories:

1) I mostly remember the challenge of learning to read electronic drawings. It was totally new to me, but, as a new college graduate I was certain I could learn anything they thru at me. And, I believe I did quite well.

2) We had some 'military' duties related to a barracks of enlisted men, on base, but they were minimal. Very few vivid memories, at all.

3) Gary Hoover was also attending Communications Officer training on base at the same time I was there. We were in high school together, roomed together at Iowa State our first year, and were in ROTC together. We didn't spend a lot of time together, but, it was nice to know a good friend was nearby, if needed. Another high school classmate was actually an enlisted man on the base, Larry Patrick. Small world, huh?

4) I mostly remember 'having my hands full' with wife, daughter, school, military stuff, and correspondence courses. I was anxious to get to my full-time duty station. This was a necessary part of getting to there.

Families are Forever!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment