Thursday, April 12, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday - Great-Great Grandmother Ann Eliza Duncan


Treasure Chest Thursday
Great-Great Grandmother Ann Eliza Duncan


This is one of the cases where a photo really is a Treasure Chest item. I had not seen this until a couple of days ago. It, again, comes from the collection of my cousin, Ellen DeVilbiss (see information yesterday), from her grandmother, my grandfather's sister.


Ann Eliza Duncan (1842-1879) married Elias Williams (1838-1920) in 1862. After having had five children between 1866 and 1876, she had twins in 1879. She and one of the twins died shortly thereafter. My records show that only three of these children reached adulthood, including my great-grandmother, Nettie (who married Alonza Kinnick). We are extremely fortunate to have such a marvelous photo of a lady who died at age 37 in 1879!  ;-) Thank you, again, Ellen for sharing this with the rest of the family, and the world, for that matter.

[This is the information Ellen provided with the photo: Ann Eliza Duncan - born in 1842 in Mercer Co. Illinois.  Married Elias Williams (b. Jan 29, 1838).  Mother of Lemuel Benson (July 1, 1866); Margaret Jeannette (Kinnick) (Sept 20, 1869); Josephine (Brock) (Dec. 20, 1872); Rose; Robert; Twins - Bertha & ---  Ann died in childbirth Sept 22, 1879 & lost 1 twin  Mr. & Mrs. High Smith adopted Bertha.  (This is taken from a copy.)]

I will write more about Ann Eliza Duncan and her family line (from Illinois and Virginia) on Saturday in a Surname Saturday, Duncan update. This is my only one of the 'round of 16' grandparents that came through Virginia, I believe.


Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. It's always so exciting find new photos. One of the things that I like most about genealogy is the opportunities it provides for me to re-connect with relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. This one is very special. I have so few of my 'round of 16' ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete