Friday, June 15, 2012

Follow Friday - Digitizing Books


Follow Friday - Digitizing Books


I've been following the changes in both book publishing and book digitization. A recent blog post from Dick Eastman speaks very well to this set of interests: "Scanning Books in the Family History Library: Not everyone is happy."


The second recent article of note updating and discussion the 'state of the publishing industry' was in The Nation recently: "The Amazon Effect."

I hope you find these as interesting as I did.


Families are Forever!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Bill, I am so frustrated reading that, I could scream. WAY to many of our people are just moving to computers or at least thinking of them. I hate reading digital books. I prefer the book in hand to flip back and forth and confirm if what was said, agreed. I know they took the PENTICO book off our shelf and it has not come back. Even if they promised it would. O when the mighty system dies we are going to loose as much as when the Guardian over the Nile fell and was a massive library. One of the ten wonders of the old world. Maybe the end coming is not such a bad thing, if that is going to be where we are going. Did you see they found the first battery made about 9000 years ago in a dig? WE have been there before. In UR they found a house with bathroom like ours and running water hot and cold. OOO we just never ever learn what History tries to teach us. Blessings my Friend. I hope I can call you that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susi, my Friend, for your honest comment and assessment. That is exactly what I was looking for by the posting. It is not a 'right or wrong' thing, in my view - it is just important to keep track of how we are moving along - so that we know. Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete