Monday, September 10, 2012

My Hometown on Monday - Sharing Memories


My Hometown on Monday - Sharing Memories

I want to share a neat sidebar to our 55th Reunion of the Class of 1957 in Coon Rapids, Iowa this weekend.

Because we have a small class, we invited members of 'near' classes to stop by and visit. I shared some of those in the link above. I reserved this post, though, for visitor Rebekah "Becky" Thomas ('59), and our neighbor in the Star Community.

Besides the fact it was just nice to see her, and her younger sister, Sharon, she gave me a photo from our earlier life along with a poem she had also come across written by her grandmother about our Star community.

Here is the photo:

Fall of 1946 (or 47)
Left front: Orville and Arlene Peverstorf; in back, from left:
Arnold and Julia Thomas, Eileen (Kinnick) Smith
Front center, my younger brother, Jim; me; Rebekah Thomas

Arnold's mother was Carrie Thomas. Below, in two pages is a poem she wrote, mentioning all the people in the Star Community at the time, in one way or another (click to see bigger, readable version):





As family historians we never know when neat memories like this will come along. Always be ready to receive, as well as to share. Thanks, Becky!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment