Wednesday, February 3, 2016

From Mom's Diary... 1941 Pearl Harbor


From Mom’s Diary… 1941 Pearl Harbor
 
In fall of 1941, I had already had my 2nd birthday. We lived on a rented farm on the county line between Carroll and Greene County, north east of Coon Rapids, Iowa.

I’ll post occasional interesting tidbits.
 
President Roosevelt, 1941

Listen to Fireside Chat 19… on the Declaration of War with Japan…
http://millercenter.org/president/fdroosevelt/speeches/speech-3325

Nothing was mentioned in her diary about Pearl Harbor on the 7th or 8th, but, on the 9th…

Tuesday, Dec. 9, 1941:


Got up & washed. Kinda cold but the wind blew and the clothes dried good. Did up the house work. Chores, folded clothes. Cut out Judy’s dress. Listened to President’s speech. Went to bed.


My comments:


Very interesting to me how few times she mentioned politics or national news, but when she did, it was meaningful. I know they listened to the radio regularly, and read local, regional and state-wide papers every day. Just not mentioned unless really important, it seems.



Families are Forever! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment